A Taste of Puglia
Euro 3250/person, double occupancy
Puglia, Italy's "heel of the boot," is a unique region strategically placed in the Mediterranean on the historic path to vanquish new lands. This narrow peninsula has seen waves of conquerers from the Greeks of Magna Graecia, ancient Romans, and Byzantines to the Normans, Swabians, Angevins, Aragonese, the Spanish, and Ottoman Turks. This has created a colorful tapestry of culture which we'll see this in the amazing baroque architecture of Lecce, the curious stone trulli of Alberobello (a UNESCO World Heritage Site), and the Castello del Monte (also UNESCO), a true fusion of Arabic, medieval europe, and eastern features.
We will visit just a few areas, Murgia and the Itria Valley, Bari, and the Salento to the south, areas that are quite diverse. With 60 million olive trees in the region (1 olive tree for every Italian citizen), some of them very ancient, there is no shortage of olive oil in Puglia, and we will learn much about this very essential ingredient. We'll taste the DOC and DOCG wines from traditional grapes such as Primitivo, Negroamaro, Bombino Nero, Nero di Troia, and more.
Along the way, we will discover the typical products of the area:
- Semola breads (including the famous Basilicatan bread of Altamura);
- Other specialties made from semola flour: taralli, focaccia barese, pasta such as orecchiette and cavatelli, and a peasant recipe made from 'burnt' wheat;
- exquisite fresh local seasonal vegetables;
- creamy burrata and other divine cheeses;
- fresh, fresh seafood including sea urchins; and
- irresistible sweets such as pasticciotto.
€3250 per person in double occupancy. Includes:
- 5 nights accommodations in unique properties (inquire about the 6-night program)
- Breakfast and most meals
- Morning and afternoon activities (cooking classes, village visits, artisan visits, tastings). Sample itinerary on request.
- Ground transportation arrive/depart Bari
The six-night program includes a stay in the UNESCO zone of Matera.
- Easy flights from Rome (not included)
- Group transfers by van can be arranged from Rome or Naples, pricing on request
- Typically 1 night Bari (arrival), 2 nights Ostuni, 2 nights Lecce. Rooms can be booked through us for early arrivals.
- Food sensitivities are no problem if we are informed in advance.
To sign up, request a registration form from Pamela@FoodArtisans.com
Fill out the form for each person, scan and return the above email.
You will receive an invoice from PayPal for the deposit which can be paid with your credit card (even if you don’t have a PayPal account), or you can pay by bank wire transfer. Wire instructions will be included in the invoice.
Registration fee is $750/person, of which $250 is a non-refundable registration fee, and $500 is refundable (less 10% handling) with notice of at least 90 day prior to the workshop. Balance is due 90 days prior to the workshop, noticed by another invoice from PayPal, and is non-refundable. If you have any concerns regarding your commitment, please consider Trip Cancellation Insurance, available from your travel agent or online.
A Taste of Puglia
The price of €3250 per person in double occupancy includes 5 nights accommodations (inquire about the 6-night program), most meals, morning and afternoon activities, and ground transportation (arrive/depart Bari). Sample itinerary on request.
- Next scheduled workshop Spring 2021, be sure you are on our mailing list!
- 2020: Inquire about our custom itineraries for independent travelers
PRIVATE GROUPS OF SIX OR MORE CAN BOOK AN EXCLUSIVE PROGRAM, contact us directly for more details.